Many among us have experienced the consequences of the above adage but we still refuse to abide by the lessons learnt. IST was coined as an abbreviation for International Standard Time but we Indians, in our peculiar trait of adopting things our way, have conveniently changed it to Indian Standard Time (which by the way is a minimum of 30 minutes behind IST). So if a friend asks you to meet at the station at 11 am, the earliest you can expect him or her is by 11:30. And remember even the delay added is adaptive. Go on increasing 10 minutes to the delay for every hour before 9 am (ie if the meeting was scheduled at 7 then add 20 minutes to the 30 minute delay to make the total delay 50 minutes).
The above calculations are based upon the minimum results obtained (not even the average) during research, actual delays are much higher and not declared here for preserving national pride. You must be wondering "Why is this guy raising such a stink about it? If everyone observes IST then the delay should balance out." My dear friends, inspite of being a minority community there are still some stupid Indians left (including me) who actually consider punctuality as a virtue worth preserving (what were they thinking or rather were they thinking at all?).
So if you find me standing alone (the one thing I hate more than waiting for someone is waiting for them alone) at any of the classic spots (bus stop, railway station, college gate, movie theatre, mall, etc), please don't ask me, "What are you doing?". I'll, by all means, be waiting for someone or the other. Now if I am so intelligent, then why don't I adopt IST and get rid of this "waiting" hassle. I did try that more than once and miserably failed over and over again (as expected). I used to show up more than 30 minutes late for my appointments but I am still baffled how they managed to outdo me and still make me wait for them.
I guess being fashionably late is one trick I'll never learn so I just have to deal with this demon of mine called "Waiting!"
The above calculations are based upon the minimum results obtained (not even the average) during research, actual delays are much higher and not declared here for preserving national pride. You must be wondering "Why is this guy raising such a stink about it? If everyone observes IST then the delay should balance out." My dear friends, inspite of being a minority community there are still some stupid Indians left (including me) who actually consider punctuality as a virtue worth preserving (what were they thinking or rather were they thinking at all?).
So if you find me standing alone (the one thing I hate more than waiting for someone is waiting for them alone) at any of the classic spots (bus stop, railway station, college gate, movie theatre, mall, etc), please don't ask me, "What are you doing?". I'll, by all means, be waiting for someone or the other. Now if I am so intelligent, then why don't I adopt IST and get rid of this "waiting" hassle. I did try that more than once and miserably failed over and over again (as expected). I used to show up more than 30 minutes late for my appointments but I am still baffled how they managed to outdo me and still make me wait for them.
I guess being fashionably late is one trick I'll never learn so I just have to deal with this demon of mine called "Waiting!"
No comments:
Post a Comment