From the past few Sundays I get to hear the priest urging the people not to watch "The Da Vinci Code" as protest in his sermon. I can't seem to figure out why they are creating all this ruckus for. Personally I haven't read the book (coz I am not such an avid reader) but from whatever knowledge I've gathered from various sources, I know that the author, Dan Brown, has made some pretty shocking claims about Jesus and his teachings.
But why is the Church getting so worried about? Does it not have faith in His teachings which have withstood the test of time for more than 2000 years and even greater prosecutions from whole empires? Does the Church not have faith in the faith it instills among us. God has given us the gift of understanding (this is what primarily differentiates us from the rest of His creations), to decide what is right and wrong. I am not anti-Church and I am not urging you to disobey its teachings. All I ask of you is to decide for yourself, have faith. Don't stop from watching the movie just because someone asks you not too. After all it was the same Church that had put Galileo behind bars for going against popular belief (and we all know now that he was telling the truth).
I am not implying that dan Brown is right. Keep an open mind. Enjoy his work as a work of fiction.
But why is the Church getting so worried about? Does it not have faith in His teachings which have withstood the test of time for more than 2000 years and even greater prosecutions from whole empires? Does the Church not have faith in the faith it instills among us. God has given us the gift of understanding (this is what primarily differentiates us from the rest of His creations), to decide what is right and wrong. I am not anti-Church and I am not urging you to disobey its teachings. All I ask of you is to decide for yourself, have faith. Don't stop from watching the movie just because someone asks you not too. After all it was the same Church that had put Galileo behind bars for going against popular belief (and we all know now that he was telling the truth).
I am not implying that dan Brown is right. Keep an open mind. Enjoy his work as a work of fiction.
No comments:
Post a Comment