Monday, May 29, 2006

"Old habits die hard"

It's true and I was made aware of it once again today for the umpteenth time. No matter how bitter your past experiences, no matter how many times you've vowed to yourself never to repeat it again, the basic goodness inside you never dies and you inevitably end up making the same mistake again.

Men are such fools (more so when females are involved). They'll do anything (well almost anything) for a female irrespective of the compromises that they have to make. A very good friend of mine from the past 3 years calls me up and says that she needs a favour from me (these things normally begin like this). She needs to xerox my notes since she has misplaced hers and just 3 days are left for the exams. I tell her that I'll meet her in college around 10am. She sounded very desperate and asked me to make it by 9 to which I replied in positive (what else is a guy supposed to say in a situation like this?).

Anyways, I got up early, caught the heavily crowded 8:31 train (which by the way was 10 mins late), huffed and puffed my way to college and made it by 9 am. Now let me tell you a small secret about my dear friend, she always has late nights (studying) and seldom gets up before 11. A voice inside my head was telling me that she won't make it on time and that I am wasting my efforts. But the eternal goodness inside me made me think that atleast today she'll make it on time especially since it was her need. Boy was I wrong.

As predicted she came late and she had found her notes (I am happy for her). She thought that I would be late (which was highly improbable and she very well knew that) and seemd very apologetic upon realizing that I had made it on time. Well now doesn't that prove what a sweet heart I am. On the contrary, how could I be such a fool?

Do you feel sorry for me? Don't. Because what I am going to reveal next will make you getup and hit me through your monitors, for being so naive and gullible. The same female asked to get along to college another set of notes (just last week). She showed up neither on the designated day nor the day after that (coz she got another friend of hers to courier them to her). Needless to say those notes were in my bag, till today (coz informing me about the same was not a priority).

Living in Mumbai I need to be much more smarter than this, right? Well this is the way God has engineered me and I guess that little bit of goodness will show through my actions no matter how much I try to supress it. And no this is not a case of being blinded by a female's charms coz similar situations have occured where the other party involved were boys.

No comments: