Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Guruji's mysterious hints...

Guruji puts out something called "EYxx" on his blog every year where the xx stands for his age. It's an annual report of sorts which lists down his achievements, failures, takeaways, goals, etc though not necessarily in the same order.

Now I have been reading these for quite some time now and I never really gave any thought as to what EY stood for (in fact its only now that I realised its an annual report thingy) until a recent comment popped up on the latest report asking for the expansion.

I decided to try my luck and left "Evaluation Year" as a reply comment. What happened next is interesting but not really surprising*. Four days later I got my reply

ksp said...

"Nope.

Let's see, if I was Latin, it might have been a T instead of an E."


This guy had posted something on "The Dunning–Kruger effect" with a reference to the following from wiki

"It also explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence: because competent individuals falsely assume that others have an equivalent understanding."


Notice the words emphasised above...Now you know my position.

Now I have to rack up my limited knowledge of English and come up with a word which fits the bill and validate it against something in Latin (of which I have no knowledge whatsoever except maybe "veni vidi vici").

If you had the patience to read so far I guess I owe you an explanation as to why I wasn't really surprised. I was fortunate enough to spend three years in college with this genius. During the early days (when I didn't know him better) I was hunting around for a piece of code for an assignment and someone told me that Sree had already completed it. Like any other guy in my position would do I decided to ask him if I could borrow it.

This is the interesting part - he tells me the name of a book and its author which has the relevant information about the topic for my assignment and goes as far as to let me know on which shelf in what aisle of the library would I be able to find it. I was not bitter at him in fact I respect him for the fact that he pointed me in the right direction. Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he'll never starve.

The only reason he asked me to refer a book was since he was already busy with something else. I am sure if that wasn't the case he would have taken the pains to explain it to me himself.

P.S: I am pretty sure he still keeps his work encrypted and password protected if he has to keep it in a LAN folder. Also the security software would be his own work.

1 comment:

ksp said...

Kind words! Thanks a lot!

As for the question, here's something to help -- why is a year a fairly meaningless unit of time?

And as far as your Latin goes, I must note that you've used the word in your own blog! Well, to be exact, the word you've used has the Latin word as its root, but nevertheless!