Friday, October 27, 2006

"How much for a Head..."

Before I go any further, I would like to let you know that I bought my helmet due to my father's insistence and it was stowed away for almost a year (during this period many many long distance rides had been undertaken) before the Helmet rule came into effect and I started wearing it.

The astounding rates of fatalities in accidents involving two wheelers and a PIL forced the HC to take notice and implement the Helmet Rule. This is not a new rule but one that has been around for years (only no one usually bothers about its actual implementation though). People thought of it as just another trick of the Helmet manufacturer's lobby and the Traffic Police to rake in some extra moolah (and indeed they did earn handsomely in the process).

Its been almost two years now and still I see majority of the riders without a helmet and even the ones who have, dutifully leave it hanging on the handle bar. As if the handle bar needs the protection in case of an accident, not their head (on second thoughts people who do so probably won't be having anything inside worthwhile to protect). You can always go the shop and ask for a new handle bar to replace the busted one but what will you do for your head?

I have heard all sorts of crazy excuses for not wearing a helmet but I have just one to counter all those..."Its your LIFE at stake buddy!" Think about it and ride safe. 

No comments: