As most of you all know Java is a hugely popular programming langauge and very much in demand in the industry for quite some time now. You must be under the impression that, being a computer engineer who spent 4 years (in normal cases) of his life studying technical stuff, one must be knowing java very well since it must have been an essential part of the syllabus. But Mumbai University begs to differ. It did include Java but only as a lab subject, which means there are no exams (or grades that matter significantly) and hence the students don't pay much attention to it.
There are lots of programming assignments involved over the course of 4 years which can be (or rather should be) done in Java, but alas the students (and even the teachers) prefer C or C++. I was determined to learn java on my own and on several occassions even got down to browsing through the numerous resources available over the net. But then there is so much happening in java that I didn't know where to start. Eventually the college assignments would catch up with me and I ended putting java on the back burner. Still the desire to learn never went out.
Now I've got the perfect oppurtunity. Since the past one week I've been going to office and I've got absolutely nothing to do (since the actual training will start only from coming monday, as there are some more guys coming in). I've been put into the development team which uses C++ and J2EE. So now it has become a necessity for me to be knowledgeable in java and I've stumbled across just the right tutorial. For all you guys who want to learn java I would strongly recommend this one. Its called Java Lecture Notes by Elliotte Rusty Harold. Its divided into 13 weeks, written in plain english with enough examples and excercises to try your hands on.
There are lots of programming assignments involved over the course of 4 years which can be (or rather should be) done in Java, but alas the students (and even the teachers) prefer C or C++. I was determined to learn java on my own and on several occassions even got down to browsing through the numerous resources available over the net. But then there is so much happening in java that I didn't know where to start. Eventually the college assignments would catch up with me and I ended putting java on the back burner. Still the desire to learn never went out.
Now I've got the perfect oppurtunity. Since the past one week I've been going to office and I've got absolutely nothing to do (since the actual training will start only from coming monday, as there are some more guys coming in). I've been put into the development team which uses C++ and J2EE. So now it has become a necessity for me to be knowledgeable in java and I've stumbled across just the right tutorial. For all you guys who want to learn java I would strongly recommend this one. Its called Java Lecture Notes by Elliotte Rusty Harold. Its divided into 13 weeks, written in plain english with enough examples and excercises to try your hands on.
No comments:
Post a Comment